Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Alternative Learning

Our family has opted to use public school curriculum in a homeschool setting.  In the truest sense of the word, this means that we are not technically homeschoolers.  This has its pros and cons.  The main pros are that you get free curriculum and everything you need, plus accountability.  The main con is accountability.

As a somewhat freespirited person, having someone (a public school teacher) who is so closely involved in my children's education, I feel confined.  My teacher is a very sweet person and gives me lots of space, mind you, but it still makes it a bit difficult.  I am required to maintain hours as though my children were still in school, and I have progress goals that I am required to meet each month.  Sorta defeats the purpose of "homeschooling" imo.

I would really like to move away from the public school mentality.  I'd like to be able to complete curriculum in my own time and at my children's paces, not the state's or the school's.  However, I find myself wanting a little of that hand-holding.  I'm afraid to go it alone.  What if I don't teach the right things?  What if I miss something vital?  What if I end up just slacking off and it ends up being more harmful than good?

Also, I like the fact that there are field trips and get-togethers.  I like that I can interact with other moms.  I also like the fact that I don't have to pay monitarily (trust me, I pay in other ways).

It will all work out, but it is a bit frightening, knowing that this time next year I may be flying solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment